Our Aquatic Therapy Program's Timeline:
- Client applies for our aquatic therapy program
- Healing Wave Aquatics contacts clients for verification of veteran status, proof of PTSD through a disability rating or note from a psychologist, and verification of low-income per HUD guidelines.
- Healing Wave Aquatics conducts an orientation with clients to review the program and conduct pre-assessments
- Healing Wave Aquatics connects client to practitioner to schedule the client’s first session
- Client and practitioner schedule weekly float sessions. Client completes a qualitative survey called a Poolside Note following each session.
- Client completes a post-assessment PCL-M
- Client is presented with a challenge coin to acknowledge completion of program
- Client is also offered a free booster session to be used within one year when needed
Benefits of Aquatic Therapy:
Aquatic Therapy uses the properties of water—including warmth, buoyancy and fluid movements — to help clients heal from physical, mental and other traumas. In Healing Wave Aquatics treatment modality, the recipient is immersed in 96-degree water, where a licensed aquatic practitioner supports and gently guides them through graceful, fluid movements while applying pressure to specific points on the body and lightly massaging muscles. This thoroughly stretches the spine and body while promoting a sense of peace and relaxation so complete that the recipient tends to “surrender” more, enabling the body and mind to move beyond the limitations that gravity or fear would otherwise impose.
“I returned from combat 10 years ago and had PTSD and thought this is just the way I am now – angry, mad, aggressive. After the first treatment session, I asked – is this what it’s like to feel relaxed? I hadn’t felt that way in years and years.“ -- Amanda Smith, Army veteran
The results are often profound and immediate. Aquatic therapy is known to provide:
- Reduced stress and anxiety
- Better sleep
- Minimized physical pain, joint compression and muscle tension
- Profound sense of calm and well-being
- Decrease in emotional pain
- Decreased heart rate and rate of respiration
- Decreased dependency on pain medication
- Enhanced immune system response
These are just some of the powerful healing effects of warm water therapy treatment on patients suffering from a wide range of illnesses and injuries. When the same therapy is given to family members and other caregivers helping to support these patients, they report many of the same benefits, often feeling revitalized and thus better able to support their loved ones in their own recovery process.
Aquatic Therapy for Veterans
Why Warm Water Therapy Works
Someone from the office will contact you within 1-2 business days to provide link to the health screening questionnaire and all pre-work documents. Then we will contact you for set up a 45-minute video conference via Google Meet where we can get to know you a little better, share more information with you about our program, as well as assign you to one of our aquatic practitioners.
We ask that you commit to 1 session a week for 8 weeks to gain the most benefit from our program. Each session is 1 hour. We offer an additional Booster Session for our clients to utilize after the initial 8 sessions. If you wish to continue after you have completed all 9 sessions, you may work with your aquatic practitioner outside of Healing Wave Aquatics.
You should wear what you would be most comfortable in. Some options include a swimsuit, board shorts, rash guard, or workout clothing, etc.
We recommend bringing a towel, a change of clothes, and something to put your wet clothing into. All of our pools have a private area for showering and changing.
We provide warm water therapy to caregivers. Please contact the office to find out if they qualify as a caregiver and are able to participate in warm water therapy through Healing Wave Aquatics.